- “Supporting the Economic Empowerment of Afghan Women through Education and Training in Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan”.
- Annual Voluntary Contributions of the Government.
- “Assistance to achieve Sustainable Development Goals and enforce commitments on gender equality promotion in Kazakhstan.”
- Other initiatives implemented by UN Women Country Office Kazakhstan.
UN Women, grounded in the vision of equality enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, works for the elimination of discrimination against women and girls, the empowerment of women, and the achievement of equality between women and men as partners and beneficiaries of development, human rights, humanitarian action and peace and security. UN Women was created to accelerate progress towards the fulfillment of their rights around the world. UN Women assists UN member states in setting international norms and standards for achieving gender equality and works with governments and civil society to develop laws, policies, programs, and services needed to implement these standards.
The projects to be managed and implemented by an incumbent are aimed at advancing gender equality and the empowerment of women, as well as building capacity of national partners in implementation of gender-sensitive programmes, policies, strategic planning and budgeting. Also, the incumbent will contribute to providing substantive expert and technical support to the Government of Kazakhstan and Civil Society Organisations for active participation in Global Action Coalitions to address Gender-Based Violence and advance Economic Justice and Rights. In addition, the incumbent will be responsible for overall management, administrative, technical and logistical support to the work of the Virtual Community of Practice in the area of Gender Equality and Women’s Empowerment for Central Asia. Finally, the incumbent will be involved in other initiatives implemented by UN Women Country Office Kazakhstan under the guidance of the Supervisor.
The project “Supporting the Economic Empowerment of Afghan Women through Education and Training in Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan” is funded by the European Union and will be implemented in cooperation with UNDP Kazakhstan. Annual Voluntary Contributions and the project “Assistance to achieve Sustainable Development Goals and enforce commitments on gender equality promotion in Kazakhstan” are funded by the Government of Kazakhstan.
The incumbent will work closely with the National Commission for Women and Family Affairs and Demographic Policy under the President of Kazakhstan, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of National Economy, Ministry of Education, national, sub-regional and regional Civil Society Organisations, expert community, private sector, academia, United Nations Entities in Kazakhstan and Central Asia and other partners.
It is expected that the Project Manager pro-actively will contribute to work of the UN Women Country Office in accordance with the UN Women triple mandate (normative support, UN system coordination and operational activities for results), including providing inputs to reports and documents requested by UN Women Representative and the Supervisor, UN Women HQ and Regional offices, contributing to the organization of events, missions and initiatives as well as development of strategic partnerships and manage another small project/s. The Project Manage
Under guidance of the Programme Specialist UN Women Country Office Kazakhstan, the Project Manager is responsible for the timely and quality delivery of project outputs and outcomes. S/he will ensure effective implementation of daily activities of the Projects and compliance with appropriate UN Women policies and procedures.
The Project Manager supervises a project assistant and short-term international and local consultants providing the services in the framework of the Projects and works in close collaboration with national, sub-regional and regional counterparts as well as UN entities. The Project Manager will be supported by the UN Women, communications and operations teams in the UN Women Country and Regional Offices.r will also be expected to draft project and programme proposals for contributing to effective resource mobilization of the Country Office.
The Project Manager will be responsible for overall projects implementation in accordance with the donor, agency to agency agreements, notes verbale, project documents, budgets, and approved work plans and prepare relevant reports. The Project Manager is also responsible for the visibility of the projects. The Project Manager is expected to closely cooperate with projects counterparts and other partners of UN Women, including but not limited by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ministry of National Economy, the National Commission for Women and Family Affairs and Demographic Policy under the President of Kazakhstan, the Ombudswoman for Human Rights in the Republic of Kazakhstan, the Ministry of Labor and Social protection of population, national human rights institutions, media professionals, civil society organizations, UN agencies, local authorities, international organizations and other relevant parties.
Project and Financial Management
- effectively plan, manager and implement the Projects and ensure attainment of the overall projects objectives with participation of all relevant parties, in accordance with the donor and agency to agency agreements, notes verbales, project documents, annual work plans, budgets and corporate guidance, policies and procedures.
- timely prepare, coordinate with the Donor, obtain approval, implement and track the project implementation plans (annual work plans) and contribute to UN Women planning;
- ensure timely and quality reporting: UN Women corporate reports through timely monitoring in Results Management System (RMS) and Atlas, including quarterly and annual narrative interim project progress and final reports; narrative interim and final reports and certified financial reports as stipulated in the Donor and agency to agency agreements;
- timely coordinate, consolidate, conduct quality assurance of reports and documents prepared by responsible parties, consultants and partners, which are relevant for submission of donor and financial reports to the donors and other relevant parties;
- ensure effective communication with national, international, and local partners for delivery of results according to the donor and agency to agency agreements, project documents, annual work plans of the projects;
- supervise research and coordination activities and elaboration of joint knowledge products to ensure adherence to UN Women quality standards;
- build partnerships with state bodies, media, academia, Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), private sector and international community;
- pro-actively contribute to work of the UN Women Country Office in accordance with the UN Women triple mandate (normative support, UN system coordination and operational activities for results), including providing inputs to reports and documents requested by UN Women Representative and the Supervisor, UN Women HQ and Regional offices, contributing to the organization of events, missions and initiatives as well as development of strategic partnerships;
- ensure effective application of Results Based Management (RBM) tools and monitoring and evaluation (M&E) for achievement of project results;
- monitor and analyze the project progress, using applicable M&E and risk management tools where relevant, and advise on timely re-adjustment of strategies and corrective actions in consultations with partners and supervisor;
- timely enter project related information into the RMS, Donor Agreements Management System (DAMS), PGAMS (Partner and Grants Agreements Management System) and Atlas in accordance with the Delegation of Authority;
- pro-actively coordinate and follow up on all project in-country, sub-regional, regional activities with the activities of national, sub-regional, regional counterparts and responsible parties;
- conduct monitoring site-visits and participate in project activities in the regions;
- effectively manage, monitor, and track financial deposits, allocations/resources, ensure timely payments in accordance with UN Women rules, regulations, and procedures; generate Atlas reports, including combined delivery reports;
- provide regular input to the corporate system ATLAS for financial and programme management on project progress, financial status , conduct budget revisions and rephasels;
- ensure effective project funds delivery/spending at least at 95% by the end of the calendar year;
- prepare procurement plans and oversee timely procurement and logistics for project implementation;
- organize and conduct Technical Working Groups and Steering Committees;
- oversee conduct of project evaluation in the end of the project (where applicable).
Strategic Communications and Advocacy:
- oversee preparation and timely implementation of the projects communications strategies and design key messages for the projects;
- ensure that projects’ progress and results are receiving proper and timely visibility;
- initiate opportunities and pro-actively engage senior management to communicate on project result and prepare talking points and briefing materials;
- ensure selection of communication tools and tailoring the messages taking into account overall socio-political and development context in the host country, donor’s requirements and countries of the region;
- initiate and oversee preparation and distribution of various multimedia interactive products (human interest stories, videos, photos, infographics, press releases, etc.) in cooperation with communications team;
- in consultations with the communications team, lead the work with the selected pool of media proffesionals to ensure that public is aware on the positive changes for the beneficiaries;
- pro-actively use UN Women digital platforms and other medias for informing and engaging target audiences in the dialogue and motivating them to act to achieve project results;
- contribute to the Country Office’s strategic communications efforts;
Human resources management and coordination
- manage project team effectively by ensuring optimal workload distribution;
- participate in the recruitment and supervise work of project assistant, project consultants/sub-contractors, interns, local and international consultants and conduct performance reviews in accordance with UN Women rules, regulations and procedures;
- develop Terms of Reference for project personnel and consultants/potential service providers and ensure proper delivery of technical services and submission of technical and delivery reports
- comply with security and safety requirements and regulations and ensure the same are respected by all local consultants and other team members;
- provide regular updates on the project progress to the Programme Specialist and the Representative of UN Women Country Office Kazakhstan;
- work closely and coordinate with other UN Women initiatives to ensure that the project is contributing effectively to overall performance of the UN Women Country Office Kazakhstan
- ensure regular communication and coordination with project donors and partners and develop and maintain effective mechanisms for integrating and responding to their feedback and insights in agreement with the Country Office management;
- oversee the preparation and implementation of the communications strategy of the project and contribute to the strategic communications of the Country Office;
- contribute to the Resource Mobilization in consultations with the Country Office management;
- perform other duties as required.
- With her/his team to manage another small project/s;
- perform other duties as required.
- draft project and programme proposals for contributing to effective resource mobilization of the Country Office.
- demonstrates integrity and fairness by modelling UN values and ethical standards;
- demonstrates professional competence and is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results;
- displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability.
- excellent communication skills, including the ability to convey complex concepts and recommendations, both orally and in writing, in a clear and persuasive style tailored to match different audiences;
- ability to, interact, establish and maintain effective working relations with a culturally diverse team, as a team member, to build trust, and to manage in a deliberate, transparent and predictable way;
- ability to establish and maintain productive partnerships with national partners and stakeholders and pro-activeness in identifying of beneficiaries and partners’ needs and matching them to appropriate solutions.
- ability to develop clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies;
- ability to identify priority activities and tasks and allocate appropriate time and resources for effective and efficient work completion;
- ability to monitor progress against milestones and deadlines;
- ability to handle effectively multiple tasks without compromising quality, team spirit and positive working relationships;
- ability to foresee risks and develop mitigation strategies.
- University/ Master’s degree in social sciences, international relations, communications and marketing, public relations, education, international law, business or public administration, gender and/or human rights studies or related field
- At least 9 years of relevant work experience in project management (Master degree plus 8 years of relevant work experience)
- Experience in the area of human rights, gender equality and the empowerment of women is an asset;
- Proven communication and advocacy skills;
- At least 3 years of experience of building partnerships and working with multiple stakeholders including government representatives, academia, media, civil society, donors and other stakeholders;
- Experience with UN or/and international organization/Embassy is an asset;
- Experience with ERP systems (ATLAS, ORACLE, SAP) is an asset;
- Excellent interpersonal, negotiation and team leading skills.
- Fluency in Russian/ Kazakh and English with proven writing and presentation skills.